As new social media platforms keep popping up, Facebook has stayed strong for over a decade. While some argue its glory days have faded, it still stands supreme as the go-to social hub for millions.
In this blog, we’ll share 51 important Facebook statistics that can help marketers succeed in 2023. With Facebook usage and these numbers, businesses can form valuable insights into how to make the most of Facebook for their growth.
When thinking about Facebook as the biggest social media platform, the first question that comes to mind is: “How many users does Facebook have?”
Table of Content-
- General stats
- Financial stats
- Platform stats
- Area-specific stats
- Demographics stats
- Ads and budget stats
- Business stats
- With 2.06 billion Facebook daily active users in the last quarter, the company has seen a 5% year-over-year increase.
- It has a total of 3.03 billion monthly active users in the last quarter, of 2023.
- Its official website gets around 17 billion visits each month on average.
- As of June 2023, the family of Facebook products, including Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp, recorded an average of 3.07 billion daily active people (DAP) and 3.88 billion monthly active people (MAP).
Here is the table showing Facebook’s user growth over the last few years
5. This represents a year-over-year increase of 7% for DAP and 6% for MAP.
6. As per the data, Marketers can potentially reach 1.983 billion Facebook users through advertising.
Overall, the data suggests that Facebook is a major player in the social media landscape and is well-positioned for future growth. As per its latest report, the numbers revealed significant growth in aspects of revenue.
7. According to last quarter’s report, Facebook’s revenue was $32.00 billion.
8. The revenue for the three months ended June 30, 2022, was $28,882 million.
9. The revenue for the three months ended June 30, 2023, was $31,999 million which is approximately 11% higher than the last year.
10. Compared with last year’s data, the revenue shows a 12% year-over-year constant currency basis increase.
The company’s CFO is expecting a total revenue of $32-34.5 billion for the third quarter
Source- Meta Reports
However, the company was not just earning revenue but, it also had to deal with different costs and expenses.
11. The costs and expenses for the last quarter were $22.61 billion.
12. The last quarter’s cost and expenses depicted a 10% year-over-year increase.
13. The company spent $780 million and $1.87 billion on restructuring and legal charges respectively in the second quarter of 2023.
14. It also paid $6.35 billion against capital expenditure under which finance leases hold the major portion.
Source- Meta Earning Presentation
Notwithstanding these significant costs and expenditures, the company adeptly oversees its diverse family of apps, comprising Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Threads. Each platform presents unique challenges and demands, but the company successfully navigates them all.
15. Currently, 138.1 million people use Facebook, which is an increase of 2.2 million users in the past year.
16. There are 55.50% male and 44.5% female users.
17. Till August 2023, there has been a decrease in the number of downloads for Facebook Messenger. The number decreased from 143 million downloads to 70.2 million downloads in Asia-Pacific regions.
18. The major usage of the app was seen in the US among the age group of 25 to 44.
19. Threads has attracted 100 million users.
20. On July 7th, it had 44 million daily active users.
21. WhatsApp has 2.00 billion monthly active users.
22. When it comes to Facebook users also using other platforms, check out these percentages:
- 74.7% of Facebook users also use YouTube.
- 72.7% of Facebook users also use WhatsApp.
- 48.8% of Facebook users also use Twitter.
- 47.8% of Facebook users also use TikTok.
- 36.1% of Facebook users also use Pinterest.
23. Among Facebook’s family of apps, Instagram holds a special allure for Gen Z, captivating their attention and engagement like no other. Instagram alone has 500+ million daily active users.
These apps enjoy widespread global usage across various age demographics, with usage patterns varying based on the types of devices individuals use.
24. In the world of Facebook, most new users are joining from the Asia Pacific region, especially in places like India and Indonesia.
25. According to the latest data, the countries with the most Facebook users are:
|Country||Active users (million)|
26. 94% of Facebook’s ad revenue comes from mobile users, with only 6% from desktop users.
27. Around 43 million users only, access Facebook through a laptop or desktop computer.
28. While approx 2.8 billion people use Facebook through phones or tablets.
Seeing these figures, marketers can bet on Facebook for their advertising and marketing. While deciding their audience they can consider these figures:
29. These are the people who are using Facebook:
- 70% of people aged 18-29
- 77% of people aged 30-49
- 73% of people aged 50-64
- 50% of people aged 65+
30. Out of these, 64% and 71% of people are educated in high school and college respectively.
According to an eMarketer study of Americans aged 18+, the average time spent on Facebook per day is 33 minutes in 2021.
31. 70% of people who use Facebook have less than $30,000 income.
32. And, 76% of people using Facebook have an income between $30,000 to $49,000.
According to an eMarketer study, the average time spent on Facebook per day by US Adults is 30.2 minutes in 2023.
33. The average time spent on Facebook is decreasing as Gen Z is constantly moving towards apps like TikTok and Instagram.
34. Advertisers are using video format ads maximumly because platforms like TikTok & Instagram have improved short-video monetization.
Ads and budget stats
35. Surprisingly, Facebook has over 10 million active advertisers.
36. The advertisers can target every age group easily, as 34.1% of individuals over 13 years old can see Facebook ads.
37. In the second quarter of 2023, ad impressions delivered across our Family of Apps increased by 34% year-over-year and the average price per ad decreased by 16% year-over-year.
As the importance of artificial intelligence continues to grow, digital advertising is not lagging behind.
38. Every advertiser is utilizing at least one of their AI-driven products.
39. In the last 10 years, over 1000 AI models, libraries, and data sets have been released by Meta to help researchers.
40. Remarkably, AI recommendations account for over 20% of the content displayed on an individual’s feed, often featuring content from people, groups, or accounts they do not actively follow.
41. These 10 million active advertisers hold the potential to reach 2.11 billion individuals through their ads.
42. A Facebook active user on average clicks on 12 ads every month.
43. The marketer on average gets $1.72 cost per click, 0.9% click-through rate, and 9.21% of average conversion rate.
Facebook has a feature to show the average cost per click as per the campaign objective
44. Among all the industries finance industry has the highest CPC of $3.89.
|Internet and Telecom||$3.07|
|Home and Garden||$2.78|
|Business and Industrial||$2.48|
|Jobs and Education||$2.11|
|People and Society||$2.01|
|Beauty and Fitness||$1.85|
|Food and beverage||$0.42|
(Source: Demand Sage)
What about the others? Look at the chart below-
Not only for marketers, Facebook has been an amazing tool for businesses also.
More than 200 million companies prefer to use Facebook’s applications and free tools for their business.
45. Businesses use Facebook for their businesses because their posts have the potential of 5.2% to reach the audience organically.
46. Interestingly, a local business page on Facebook is visited by 70% of users once a week.
47. Through Facebook live chat, businesses can increase their sales by 53%.
48. As Facebook targets an audience all over the world, it has the ability to change the language on a real-time basis.
Despite helping common people, marketers, and businesses Facebook had to face many challenges as well.
49. Currently, it has 71,469 headcounts as of June 2023.
50. It represents a decrease of 14% year-over-year.
51. More than 50% of the employees were impacted by 2023 layoffs.
Facebook is expanding its app family, including platforms like Threads.
While newer platforms like Instagram gain traction, Facebook still holds great potential to reach a wide audience.
For marketers and businesses, it remains a vital channel for advertising and marketing. You can trust them to build your brand value or identity in the market.